Saturday, June 21, 2008

Siobhan - New Zealand 2007


Siobhan

She reads my account of my great journey. She sometimes criticizes my story, sometimes she agrees and sometimes, she keeps it to herself. This however is my account of our meeting and subsequent “chilling” session on the streets of Auckland.

Siobhan arrived at 1pm in the XBase lobby. She was double parked and irritated about my slow reaction to the situation. I stopped to say goodbye to Julia, and took the elevator down to the street. Siobhan was indeed double parked, but I couldn’t blame her since there was a huge lack of parking in this area, just like all major city centers’. We hopped into her car, and VROOM, dashed down the streets of Auckland. We exchanged pleasantries yet the mood was awkward. I had been waiting seven months to meet this Kiwi and now that I had, I couldn’t think of anything to say. I snapped a few pictures as we followed streets deep into Auckland. We began to discuss what we were to do for that afternoon, and I suggested the Auckland Zoo.



She's gonna kill me for posting this picture. Such a lovely smile though.

The Zoo

I wanted to see a Kiwi and opted for the Auckland Zoo, Siobhan agreed but as we arrived it was apparent that the Zoo was quite full and crowded. School was out and families were enjoying the spring weather and treating their families to a day at the zoo. I was disappointed but I had several days ahead of me to see a Kiwi. The Zoo idea quickly dissolved and we were again on the road to another destination. Siobhan selected Mission Bay as out next destination.

Mission Bay

Siobhan stopped so she could get her fix of coffee and was rewarded with a free newspaper. I took the time to browse the area and comment on the small cars and trucks on the road. Suck cute little things. Nothing like to monster automobiles we have in North America.



I had never encountered the ocean. I had seen it through the window of an airplane and even seen the ocean on television, but I had never touched or experienced the ocean. My first order of business was to immediately remove my shoes and slash about and let the water flow over my toes. Yes, I was acting like a total tourist because, after all, I was a tourist. I think Siobhan was a little embarrassed. After my encounter with the ocean, I picked out some seashells as souvenirs and ran along the sandy shores of Mission Bay. Siobhan and I then proceeded to talk and discuss random things. We took pictures and attempted to create a video. Both of us were big on making videos for Youtube and Live Video at that time. There was never a video that was created, but I still to this day, have the original footage. Perhaps, in due time, I will make something of it.




1 comments:

Meges1 said...

On a trip down to Christchurch we checked out the big aquarium there and they also have Kiwi! There were two of them and were in plain view. You have to go into a little dark room to see them and they only let a few people in at a time. They were HUGE - much bigger than I expected. You'll have to check it out!