Saturday, June 21, 2008

XBase - New Zealand 2007

I was looking forward to having a nice long shower, then several hours of rack time in a nice soft bed, or something of the sort. My long journey had run me ragged and I was unable to secure a good night rest for the duration of my journey. I smelled, well I am not fully sure if I did smell but after 24 hours without a shower, I know I was not smelling my best.

It was early, and I took the elevator with Angela to the second floor of the Base Backpackers Hostel and attempted to check-in. We attempted, however we did not succeed. It would turn out that check-in did not occur until later that afternoon (2 or 3 pm to be exact) and we were doomed to wait until the rooms had been cleared out. Angela and I promptly checked our luggage at the desk. I and purchased a generous helping of Internet time via some sort of card system, and I surfed the Internet to pass the time.



I called my mother to let her know that I had arrived safely, and I also called Siobhan to arrange for a time to meet and hang out. I had six hours to kill before I was to meet Siobhan at 1pm. The hours went quickly; I walked the neighboring streets with Angela and took in a few shops. I was amazed (again) at the infrastructure of Auckland. The beautiful paved roads, the fresh painted lines, street signs that actually marked the name of the street. This place was nothing like Ottawa.


I love the fact that all prices listed in NZ shops are the actual price and you don’t have to calculate the GST. Angela and I located the local grocery stories and corner stores (dairy) for our supplies. The morning was enjoyable and I finally fell asleep for a wondrous 45 minutes on the lobby couch. All in all, I say my six hours were well spent. I met a new friend, explored a little of my surroundings, called my mother, and purchased apple juice. Not bad, not bad at all.

0 comments: