Sunday, April 13, 2008

To the Pacific - New Zealand 2007

Finally, the time had come.

I was approaching the last leg of my trip. I could see my destination in the back of my mind. Auckland was only thirteen hours away. What the heck was I going to do for thirteen hours on a plane? I really hoped I could get some sleep and maybe read my new book. Sure, that would get me through the hours. Maybe I could listen to my MP3 player as well, considering I had already listened to the play list over and over again.

I felt a little apprehension about my next experience. The Pacific Ocean was a very large place and there aren’t many places to land in case of emergency. I again cursed myself for being such a coward and I assured myself that everything would be alright. I settled my nerves and eat the rest of my crisps.

The announcement went over the airwaves, “Flight 26 is now boarding at Gate 121”. Just like the cattle that we were, people flocked to the gate entrance only to be halted by a rather intimidating young man with a stern look on his face. “Now calling Business Class passengers only, I repeat Business Class passengers only”. So we waited. Finally, some twenty minutes later, section A was called and I mad my way through the plank to meet smiling Qantas employees on the other side.

My seat was no surprise, since I had picked my seat ahead of time and always ensured that I would obtain a window seat. I took my seat and a few minutes later, the elderly couple joined me to both our delight. We again started chatting about planes, Australia, New Zealand, and Auckland.

Finally, the last passenger was on board and the enormous door was closed and secured. We all fastened our seat belts and watched the safety demonstration from the overly attractive flight attendants.

Our captain received the okay to depart and we made our way to the airstrip. With a mighty roar, our jumbo jet was thrust into the heavens and again I kept my eyes to the window as I watched the lights of LA fade. Night had fallen on California and I could only make out shapes as our flight made the way to the Pacific Ocean and …adventure.

0 comments: