Sunday, April 6, 2008

LAX - New Zealand 2007

LAX

I had a few hours to kill before my departing flight, so I took the opportunity to explore this city inside a city. LAX was larger than anything I had imagined. I cruised the duty free shops and purchased some food items for my next flight (I will explain the food situation later on). $25 USD got me a bag of crisps, an apple and a 1-liter jug of apple juice. I love getting gouged at the cash register.

I also donated my remaining $10 in odd change to some society that helps disadvantaged families in LA. I don’t usually donate money to charities that I am not associated with but the young lady taking the donations was so friendly and we started talking about her cousin she had in Toronto and how she loves Canada. I’m sure this was all just a tall tale, but the much-needed smile was well worth the weight of the spare change in my pocket.

I also purchased another book. This book that for some reason or another had eluded me over the years and I was only too happy to Wisk myself back to France during the 1700’s. The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas would be my traveling companion for the thirteen-hour flight to Auckland.

I took up residence at the departure lounge and starting my journey through the pages of my new book. I also snapped a few photos of the arriving and departing flights near my gate.



I struck up a conversation with an elderly couple from Melbourne who were also off to Auckland, and we traded stories of family, flights and life in general. I was also informed that I would not be able to bring my foodstuffs into NZ as per they have a very strict policy about such things. Silly country boy that I am, I did not realized and just think, I had spent $25 on items I didn’t really need.

I also met a young couple and their three-year-old son. In our conversation, I had mentioned that I would be traveling to Wellington as well and this couple was only to eager to help me out and advise me of the best things to see and do when I was in NZ’s political capitol.

Wow, Kiwis are so friendly. At that moment I realized that this trip was going to be the most wonderful of experiences.

Auckland, here I come.

0 comments: