Thursday, March 27, 2008

Salvation - New Zealand 2007

Salvation

My salvation had arrived in the form of American Airlines flight 55 destined for the fabled and star-studded city of Los Angeles.

The Boeing 767 jet in which I boarded was by far the largest plane I had ever entered. Comparing to my previous flight from Ottawa, this plane was the size of an overgrown ogre beast riding a mountain. I was amazed that an airliner could house so many seats and thus, house so many passengers. I know what you're thinking, and I will admit it. I am really not with this world and I have lived a slightly sheltered existence so I was amazed at the littlest of things and yes, small things amuse small minds. Yes, this mammoth of a plan just blew my mind. I took my seat next to a chap from Ohio that was traveling to LA to meet some friends for what he called "a week of drugs, booze and all forms for debauchery that one can inflict". I mentioned to him I was amazed at the size of the plan and he just laughed and explained that this plane really wasn't that big at all. I was informed that the larger planes usually haul for the longer flights such as Oceanic routs. We discussed various topics such as the Montreal punk scene, girls, booze, drugs, and non-important things such as weather and nationality.

I settled into my seat and again glued my eyes to my wondrous porthole, not wanting to miss any glimpses of our assent into the heavens. All passengers were boarded and accounted for and I was able to move up a few seats to secure an entire row of seats for my own amusement with a full endorsement from the bloke I was sitting next to (I'm a big guy so I require more elbow room and I didn't feel like fighting with my seatmate over occupied arm room)

Flight 55 hit the runway and the engines were revved and we took off down the strip with great speed and a commanding disposition. I was no longer afraid the entire take-off procedure and I now was able to sit back and enjoy our assent into the skies above. I was leaving Chicago, the city of dreary disposition and I was now heading for the hot spot of North America. The city of the stars was only four hours away.

0 comments: